Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Safe Spaces (Reflection)



In the article "Safe Spaces: Making Schools and Communities Welcoming to LGBT Youth," by Annemarie Vaccaro, Gerri August, and Megan S. Kennedy they talk about a lot of stuff to do with how LGBT people grow up. When I was in elementary and middle school I feel like I never noticed if someone was LGBT. It wasn't till high school when I finally realized some peoples true side. When kids in my high school came out as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender, I feel like no one ever really minded too much. It was nice to see how the kids in my high school accepted it. On the other hand, there were a few people who would tease/bully the LGBT community. Luckily administrators would step in and fix the situation but I think we as educators need to make it so everyone realizes were all human.
In my high school there is one individual that stands out a lot more than others just because of what she went through to make a change in the community. This individual was a transgender. Was a male but now goes by a female. She really wanted to change my high school and make it a LGBT safe area. She did this by having herself, friends, and family help raise the importance to respect all people. They held public meetings and announcements. It truly was an outstanding thing and I'm glad I was one to see this and learn about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment